Friday, July 19, 2013

Fennel Salsa

                                            

The first time I tried this salsa, I devoured three servings, it was so delicious. It was made for me by a very thoughtful mother in law, who knows of my fairly new obsession with fennel. I had not tried fennel until recently. It always seemed like a strange, obscure, bulb to me. On top of that, I had no idea how to cook it, prepare it, or otherwise make use of it. But after tasting fennel, I had a reason to experiment! 

The flavor of fennel is light and sweet with a hint of something that resembles licorice. If you don't like licorice, you should still give it a try. A few people I know have tried this salsa hesitantly because of their dislike for black licorice but ended up loving it. This salsa is great eaten all by itself, on chips or with any fish entrée. 



Fennel Salsa

1 Fennel bulb

1 Medium Cucumber

1 Large Avocado

1 Green Apple

1 Jalapeno 

1/4 Cup chopped cilantro

1-2 Tbsp Honey

1-2 Tbsp Fresh lime juice

Directions: Finely chop all ingredients and mix together in a bowl. Let marinade in the fridge for a few hours (optional).




Health benefits of fennel (according to www.whfoods.com/)

- Highly alkalizing.

- Wards of cancerous cells in the body.

- Anethole content reduces inflammation.

- May reduce cholesterol. 

- High in potassium, folate, fiber and vitamin C.

- Neutralizes free radicals.

- Protects the liver from toxins.

Baked Salmon With Fennel And Orange Sauce Recipe 

post coming soon


No comments:

Post a Comment